Thursday, April 27, 2006

An Important Thursday Thirteen

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Things about Amanda




Some of you may know that I have committed to competing in the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon on July 15th. Here are 13 facts about my triathlon.

1. I will compete in an Olympic distance triathlon.

2. That means I will first swim 1 mile in Lake Nokomis. Yes, that's right. I'll be right out there in the middle of the lake, swimming for dear life.

3. I will then bike 25 miles. The bike will take me from Lake Nokomis, down to Lake Harriet, back to Lake Nokomis, down the Mississippi River and back up again. Check out the race course here.

4. And I will finish by running 6.2 miles. This run will take me around Lake Nokomis - twice.

5. I am training for this physically challenging endeavour with a group called Team In Training (TNT).

6. TNT is a training and fundraising organization set up by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). TNT provides me with coaching, training session, and important informational sessions that prepare me for race day.

7. In return for the training, I have committed to fundraising a minimum of $2000 for LLS.

8. LLS uses these funds for research, patient services, professional education, advocacy and community service.

9. I decided to join this team for training and fundraising because none of us can escape cancer. Each and every person I know has experienced cancer in some way. My grandfather died of pancreatic cancer during my sophomore year of college. My friend Heather (the one who will get married in only 8 days) lost her mother to a battle with ovarian cancer when we were freshmen in college. By joining this team, I not only do something good for myself, but I also help others in the process.

10. So far, my fundraising efforts have gotten me to $1515 in donations from friend, family members and coworkers.

11. There is no donation too small or too great. Every donation counts and is put toward this great cause.

12. My smallest donation was $10 - THANK YOU! My largest donation was $150 - THANK YOU!

13. To donate to this extremely worthy cause, please visit my donation website .


Side note: Can someone please clue me in to the auto link function? I'd like to be able to do that on Thursday Thirteen posts. Thanks!


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 comments:

Unknown said...

Great list.

Thanks for dropping by my T T

Courtney said...

Good luck to you! I couldn't do that, I am not a strong swimmer and I don't know how to ride a bike! lol I am however participating in the much less strenuous MS Walk (my mom has Multiple Sclerosis), so I can relate on wanting to do something for a good cause ;)

Thanks for visiting my TT today.

Unknown said...

Good luck! You are very determined and hard working to be attempting this! My list is up!

MaR said...

Good luck on your fundraising and training . Great cause, good for you! my tt is up, thanks for dropping by.

Melzie said...

http://www.blenza.com/linkies/

There's the linky link. LOL!

And wow!! That will be a goal next year. This year I just want to be able to run a mile without falling over in misery. :)

Melli said...

Oh my goodness! I'm out of breath just thinking about all that activity! I truly admire you though - both for getting yourself into shape to do that kind of thing, and also for helping out with the cause! When my son was 13 his best friend died from bone cancer... since then we are involved with Relay For Life, which the boys mom chairs for our county. It's always a great feeling to help out! Best of luck to you!

Norma said...

I'm tired just reading this. I walk a mile a day. Best wishes for a successful event.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

Carmen said...

good luck on the race. I go to Lifetime here in VA. :)

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I got tired just reading all the physical things you are attempting. Great cause. Hope you do well.

Anonymous said...

Good luck. You have my sincere admiration.

Megan said...

OK, can I tell you how much I hate/love you right now? You blow me away. Couldn't do what you're doing. But I love what you're doing.

Good luck and thanks for stopping by today. My TT is up!

Tanya said...

congratulations and good luck. I would love to do something like that - it would take me a year to complete, though.

-tnchick- said...

I bet your enjoy the triathlon. I am sure you will do well, too.

If you still need help with auto link email me (contact form is on my site if you don't have my email)

-R- said...

My friend is competing in the same triathalon, so I will be there cheering both of you on! Good luck!

Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

I'm sorry its taken me so late to make my TT rounds!

I think that this is a wonderful goal of yours and will be a wonderful achievement! I'm so proud of you--truly.