Thursday, April 06, 2006

Sweets Free...

I've done it before. I can do it again.

I think.

As noted in yesterday's Thursday Thirteen post, I have a sweet tooth. Matter of fact, I don't have a sweet tooth, I have sweet teeth. My whole mouth is full of them. And for some reason, no matter how much chocolate or carmel or ice cream or cake I give them, my teeth are never satisfied. They just continue to want more. In fact, it seems as though the more they get, the more they want. If I eat a dougnut in the morning, by lunch I'm wanting a Twix and by dinner I want some cake. But, if I hold off on sweets for a whole day, it's usually easier to get through the next day, too. And so on - by day seven or eight, my teeth aren't even thinking about sweets.

It's making it through that first day that is really the hard part.

So, here's the challenege that I am setting up for myself: I'm going without sweets.

That's right, folks. I'm giving up sweets altogether. No more scones in the morning from the cafe across the hall. No more brownies that my co-worker made. No more mini Snickers or Milky Ways or Twix bars from the candy dish at the reception desk. No more Girl Scout Cookies. No more ice cream during Grey's Anatomy (sorry, Mark). I'm not eating any sweets, at any time.

I know. This sounds crazy. Senseless. Insane, even! Why would anyone want to deprive themselves of the deliciousness that is sweets?!?! Well, I don't WANT to, believe me. But I feel as though I must. I feel like my sweet eating is at an all-time out-of-control state, and something drastic needs to be done in order to kill it.

Here's the funny thing about this challenge. Every time that I do it, it gets more and more fun. I know, you're thinking "FUN?!". But yes, fun. Because you make it a game with yourself. You get through day one, and it's hard as hell. But when you make it to the end of the day you are proud, and a little surprised. Day two comes, and you think, "Oh, can I make it through another day of this?!". So, you force yourself to get through day two. By the end of the first week, you are thinking, "Well, I've come this far. Let's see how long I can keep this thing going." And so you keep going.

Now, I haven't done this in a long time. And usually, I do it only for a week or so at a time. But I really feel like this time I'm in deep trouble.

So this time, I'm going sweets free for a whole month.

On May 5th, my dear friend Heather will marry her high school sweetheart, Eric. On that date, I will be happy to partake in some wedding cake. That will be my first taste of sweets for almost an entire month.

This challenge starts today, right now, this minute. You may ask, "Why start on a Friday? Start on a Monday, when most people start new diets or workouts or whatnot." The problem with starting on a Monday is that work is the hardest place for me. There is always something sweet at work. So, if I can make it through this first day, I have two more days at home, where there aren't any sweets, to jumpstart my new challenge. I'm hoping that by Monday morning I'll be good to go.

I know that it will be hard. I know that it will seem impossible at times. But I truly feel like I can do it, and that I need to do it.

We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you all posted...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It won't be easy but you can do it. And that wedding cake will taste oh-so-delicious in a month!! Good luck. =)

utenzi said...

Michele sent me, Amanda.

Good luck with your endeavor, Amanda. I doubt I'd ever attempt it. I rarely have less than 10 pounds of candy on hand at home--and regularly restock. I love sweets so much it's just a little scary.

Have a great time at the wedding!

Ramona said...

Good luck! That wedding cake will taste even better since you've been holding off on the sweets. Here via Michele's

srp said...

Good luck and we should not mention any type of sweets here. Just the name, the sound of the name, the thought of the name....I have to go. There's a sweet calling my name and I've got to find some ear plugs. (My mom is diabetic so we try not to keep any around... she pilfers when she isn't supposed to.)

srp said...

Forgot my head.... Here from Michele.

ribbiticus said...

good luck! i myself don't consider a meal complete without dessert. :)

ribbiticus said...

also forgot to mention that michele says hi! :)

shpprgrl said...

Hey! Thanks for visiting! You can do it. My mom gave up dessert for lent and she's made it so far. I hope that wedding cake is great!

Anonymous said...

I am here to tell you that wedding cake will be delicious! You have your choice of white cake wit strawberry filling, chocolate cake with creme, marble cake with custard filling, all with buttercream frosting! I'm not being mean, I hope, just something to push yourself and to look forward to. Good luck to you, Amanda, you know I truly believe you can do anything! Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda! Here via Michele. I hope you survive your no sweets program.
I'm a salty snacker myself, but I never turn down good chocolate.

Gypsy said...

I admire your dedication. I so could not do it. Nope. No way. I don't crave sweets all day, but I have to have something sweet at least once a day. I must!!

But good luck to you! I'll be interested to see how it goes.

And thanks for stopping by my blog the other day.

Emily said...

good luck with your sugar=-free challenge! i've done it before, myself, and really felt fabulous without the sugar in my body.

good lucky. :)

Anonymous said...

'Bout time you got a profile pic on here, girlie! Lookin good. :)

Christi said...

Okay um...custard filling..buttercream frosting, I'm salavating just thinking about it...and I don't even have a sweet tooth!!!

Okay sorry, wrong comment to put in your blog =) I originally just wanted to comment on finally putting a picture up. horray!!!!!