Friday, March 31, 2006

Triathlon Update

Well, I haven't done one of these in a long time, so I thought that I'd give a good triathlon update for those of you who follow along.

I got off track for a little bit a couple of weeks ago. Life got in the way, I say. I had to go home for the big wedding shower, and the week before I was trying to get all the last details together for that. Then, I was obviously out of town and very busy that weekend, so training really took a back seat. The following week, I was catching up on all kinds of things that I had let sit because I was busy the week before, so training was moved from the back seat to the trunk. Then finally it got to be my birthday weekend, and training was so far from my mind that it wasn't even in the car anymore.

Now, I did workout some during those two weeks. I got in a couple of swims and a spin session, but really, not enough to even be considered training.

I know, I know. Excuses, excuses. And I agree! There really isn't a good reason that I couldn't have gotten up a bit earlier to get my workouts in. Or even stayed up a bit later to get other things done so that I could workout in the evening. But, I just let myself slip. And once you let yourself slip, it's so easy to keep on slipping. And it's so hard to get back on the right track.

But Sunday morning, my birthday actually, I decided that it was time for me to get back on track. It was a beautiful day here in the Cities - the sun was shining, it was 50 degrees, and the lake was calling to me. I went out into the brisk spring air and had a pretty good run. I had some pain in my knee, so I couldn't run as far as I would have liked, but it did feel great to get back out there.

After that, it felt good to keep going with training. Tuesday night I went for a swim. Wednesday morning I went swimming again, and then went to spin class in the evening. Last night, I went to the team swim (which I hadn't gone to in about 4 weeks) I had a most amazing workout. During our time trials, I actually had the fastest time out of the whole team. I left there with a great sense of pride that I really can get back on track, and take charge of my training again.

So, that's what I'm doing. I'm riding this wave all the way until July. My commitment that I've made to myself is that I'll not miss a team training session for the rest of the season, unless it's due to injury or that I'm out of town. I'm re-committing myself to this great cause and this great challenge that I have before me, and I'm looking forward to it all over again.

Oh yeah, and fundraising has been going very well also. Check the link to the right to see how far I've already come, and to donate to the cause!