Sunday, February 05, 2006

Tuesdays with Morrie

Last year, for my college graduation gift, Mark bought me season tickets to the Broadway in Minneapolis series at the Orpheum Theater. We had some great shows - The Lion King, Movin Out and Sweet Charity, to name a few. We had such a good time that we decided to get season tickets again this year. My friend Megan and her boyfriend Ryan even decided to join us. We were a little disappointed with this season's shows, but were excited to again experience musical theater at one of our favorite venues. The first couple of shows were good, but we still weren't sold on this season's shows. But the latest performance brought out enthusiasm level right back up again.

On Friday night, after I had a quick happy hour with some of my favorite college gals, Kristin and Susie, I rushed home to get ready for our evening at the State Theater to see Tuesdays With Morrie. I was pretty tired after a long week at work, and when I got home I found that Mark, too, was tired and not overly thrilled with a night out. But after getting ready and eating a quick snack, I was in theater mood. We walked the FREEZING five blocks to the theater to find Megan and Ryan already inside trying to get warm. After finding our seats and chatting a bit about the venue, the show started.

Now, those of you who pay attention might be wondering why, if our season tickets are for shows at the Orpheum, we were seeing a show at the State Theater. Well, the show got moved a couple of weeks ago, and at the time I wasn't sure why. Well, the State Theater is a much smaller venue, and unfortunately, even that smaller venue wasn't filled for this great show. It always makes me a little sad for the actors when the theater isn't filled. I'm not saying it has to be a sold out show, but probably 1/3 of the theater was empty. It would make me sad if I were an actor and people didn't come to see my show. But that's just me.

Anyways, back to my story. The show was fantastic. I have never read the book, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. I mean, I was pretty sure that the old man died in the end. But I never knew how great the story is. You have this old, dying man with all of these words of wisdom, and you have this younger, healthy guy who initially can't even give his wife the time of day. It was a very touching and inspiring story, and the acting made the story come alive. I don't know much about Mitch Albom, but Mark and Ryan both said that the actor portrayed him perfectly.

I got so wrapped up in the story. Again, I knew that the old man died in the end, but it kind of snuck up on me. I found myself crying, and I mean really crying. (I was not the only one - quite a few of the women around me were shedding tears) It was so sad to watch the relationship end.

I always think it's got to be more difficult to play someone who actually lives or is still alive. In a completely fictional story, the actor who plays the character is able to develop that character, make him or her what he or she wants. But with a true story or well-known people, the actor has to get the tone, the mannerisms, the lifestyle of the person perfectly, or pay the consequences from the viewing public. So, here's my little salute to actors who play real people. Salute!

Anyways, the show was really great and I loved the State Theater. It has beautiful, ornate woodworking and wall murals. It was my first visit to the State Theater, and I can imagine that a concert there would be really great. Large enough to have a good crowd, but small enough to feel intimate with the artist.

Ok, now I'm just rambling to ramble. What I have to say is, Tuesdays with Morrie was good, I liked the State Theater, and actors are great. Now, I'm going to take a nap. Found out why I need one in my next post...

Happy Super Bowl Sunday, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »