Sunday, February 05, 2006

1st Team Run

Ok, I have officially become on of the crazy people. Those crazy people that get up at the crack of dawn, get their gear on, and go running when it's 10 below outside. Yes, my friends, I have become one of those crazy people - and I LOVE IT!

This morning was my first team training session with my TNT teammates. The run started at 8am, and the team was to meet at Lake Calhoun. When my alarm clock went off at 7am, I wanted nothing more than to roll over and go right back to sleep. But I took five minutes, got myself up and started getting ready. I put on all my new gear - I did a little pre-run shopping at Target yesterday. I felt filled with enthusiasm and really ready to take on the day and the run!

And then I looked at the tempurature.

It was 10 degrees. And then, two minutes later, it was 8 degrees. And then, when I got in the car, the DJ stated that it was really 7 below with the wind chill.

My enthusiasm level decreased. In fact, my enthusiasm was gone. It went back to bed.

But I when I arrived at Lake Calhoun and saw all of the other runners gathering and stretching, it came back. A little. We started by introducing ourselves and the event for which we'd be training. Then we did a little group warm up and broke out into groups. I ran on Saturday morning, and I did a 10-minute mile. So, I joined the 10- to 11- minute mile group thinking that I'd just make it.

And I did make. It more than made it. I did great! We did a line run, which means that the whole group runs in a line, and the last person in the group has to run to the front of the line while stating something about themselves (name, college, favorite drink, etc.) That person was then at the front of the pack, and they set the pace until the next person came up. It made the time fly by, and was a great way to connect with the team. Before I knew it, the run was over!

It wasn't until after the run that the cold hit me. And it hit me HARD! While doing my post-run stretch with my teammates, my legs started to go completely numb and my hands were like ice. By the time I got in the car, my whole body was an icicle. I turned the heat on as high as it would go.

But I felt great. I was more motivated than ever to get in shape and prepare my body and mind for the major undertaking of a triathlon. And even more, I was motivated by the larger goal in mind - raising the funds that will one day find comfort and a cure for blood cancer patients. The people out there running with me today were friends, sisters, nephews, sons, husbands of someone with a form of blood cancer. One of our teammates is running for his wife - she's 24 and was just diagnosed with cancer. I have a feeling that one will stick me with throughout my training.

When I got home, I was still freezing. I jumped back into bed, but my adrenaline and excitement were pumping way too hard for me to rest. After a hot shower, I started to warm up. I'm still kinda warming up now, actually...

So, my first team training session was a major success for me. It made me really excited to face the next five months of training and fundraising. And speaking of fundraising...please note that the link to my personal fundraising website is now to the right. Please give if you can.

Up Next - not sure yet.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We have a group of runners in our city that get up early and are out running at 5 am every morning. There are a bunch of them, and they've formed a big community. Not me, I'm going to bed when they're getting up.

Here via Michele tonight

carmilevy said...

I am so impressed with your dedication. I've always loved getting up early to ride my bike. But with the wheels parked until the snow melts, an early-morning walk or run doesn't seem to enter my conscience. So I sleep in.

You may have inspired me to start doing the crack of dawn thing a little early this year.

Christi said...

Kudos to you Amanda!!! I remember when I was training for the marathon one of the hardest obstacles to overcome was getting out there when all you wanted to do was sleep, or sit around and eat =) It takes a lot of will power and it shows true strength when a person can overcome those obstacles!!!

I think it's AWESOME what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! You rock!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Female bondage domination stories http://www.alfa-romeo-164.info/My_nissan_frontier.html victoria nissan big five accounting firm Sony 460 handycam Volkswagen 200 mpg diesel 98 subaru impreza rs performance http://www.build-rustic-furniture.info/doll-unfinished-furniture.html