Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Day Crockpot Extravaganza

I think that along the way I may have mentioned that Mark works nights at the Ford Assembly Plant in St. Paul. He goes to work at about 4:00 PM and doesn’t return home until about 4:00 AM. So, there are times and holidays, such as Valentine’s Day, that we must put off our celebration until the weekend, leaving me to fend for myself on the actual date. I’ve pretty much gotten used to this over the years, so it doesn’t bother me anymore. Now I just plan fun things to do instead.

This year for Hallmark holiday of love, I asked Julie to be my Valentine, and she gladly accepted. After some debate on whether we should dine out or make dinner, we decided to make a meal entirely in our crockpots. My sister and her family had bought a crockpot for me for my birthday a couple of years ago, and Julie’s mom bought her two crockpots for Christmas this year. We have been searching the Internet for good recipes for crokpots since New Year’s. We decided it was time to put our crockpots to the test.

Julie had the responsibility of dinner, and I was in charge of dessert (of course). After trying out a couple of different recipes, Julie landed on her mom’s chili recipe. I found a recipe for hot caramel apples and was set to go.

So, on Valentine’s Day morning, I woke up (late) and made the caramel apples in the crockpot, and brought it over to Julie’s. We were going to run to her house (she lives three blocks from work) over the lunch hour to turn on the chili, and then return to her house at around 2:00 to turn on the apples. That way the chili would be ready to go right after work and the apples would ready a while afterward.

We went to the video store to pick up Cinderella Man. We weren’t sure of what to get, but we’d both wanted to see it. It was so good! Really a wonderful story about love and family and working hard and it was just great. I recommend it!

When we got to Julie’s to finally start eating, her house smelled amazing, between the simmering chili and the baking apples!



We got out the wine,



filled our bowls up with Fritos and chili and cheese (all intricately layered, of course),




and sat down to enjoy the movie.



The chili was SO GOOD! Just the right amount of spice to make your nose run, but not too much that you couldn’t taste the chili goodness. After a heaping bowl of it, we were both way to full to even think about the apples!

So the apples simmered a while longer. That’s really the beauty with the crockpot – if you aren’t quite ready to eat, it doesn’t matter! It’s pretty hard to mess things up with a crockpot. When the movie ended, we turned on Sex and the City and decided we had just enough room for dessert.




I was rather pleased with myself at how the apples turned out. I put each apple in a bowl with a little of the juices it was baking in, and put Redi-whip along the outside rim of the apple. The apples were nice and soft, without being soggy and gross. The caramel and brown sugar was oozing out of the apple. (You make these caramel apples by coring the apples and sticking a bunch of stuff right inside if, so it cooks from the inside out.) As full as we were after the chili, the apples were just delectable! We didn’t speak the entire time we ate them.

After a clean up of the kitchen and pots, I headed home to my empty house. I did have a wonderful note from Mark to read. It was so great to spend V-Day hanging out with a good friend instead of moping about alone. And we had such a good time hanging with the crockpots, that we’re going to make it a regular thing. Keep watch for the next recipe postings…

Up Next: My V-Day celebration with Mark.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great valentine night. Could I have the carmel apple recipe?

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm ... sounds awesome! I'm glad you had fun. And great pics, too!

Julie got TWO crockpots for Christmas? Both from her mom? Isn't that kind of odd?

Happy Friday!

Christi said...

Crockpots are the greatest invention ever. I'm a firm supporter of their greatness.

Anonymous said...

Having been a participant the "Valentine's Day Crockpot Extravaganza" I would just like to extend a sincere thanks to my Valentine's day "sweetie" Amanda. I call her "sweetie" because not only is she a sweet person, but she made the most delicious dessert this side of the Mississippi. The carmel, apple, and whipped cream were like a trip on the tasty train to heaven. To clear up the mulitple crockpot confusion, I received a large crockpot and one small two serving crockpot for Christmas. Both from my mom, Cookie. All in all - the best Valentine's Day a gal could ask for...good food, fun and company!

Anonymous said...

"a trip on the tasty train to heaven"

LOVE IT! haha

One big and one small, I see. - the multiple crockpot confusion is now cleared up, thank you!

I want to learn how to cook in a crockpot now!

:)

Anonymous said...

..cooking no cooking..
itsn't that against the law..
Over from the other Michele's

Amanda said...

not sure how cooking is against the law....

theaddict said...

That sounds like a very lovely evening. Hi from michele's meet n greet

Viamarie said...

Nice story there. Here via Michele's.

Lisa said...

how fun!!! I just got a crock pot from my mom, and I really need to start using it for those days when I know I'll just be too tired after work to cook. I need to start digging for some recipes of my own!
Michele sent me!

Anonymous said...

looks good I have a hard time with crfock pots cause it takes too long and Im not good a planning out things especially meals, Im more a grill man myself.

but that said some good food comes out of the crock pot...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Landlord library medical malpractice career Desert shadow backpacks childrens shoes 3850 bell and howell projectors Levitra fact threat management training Home lender loan va we stop smoking