Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Triathlon

As you may know, this blog was part of my New Year’s resolution to explore the Twin Cities. What most people don’t know is that I have another resolution. I am going to participate in a triathlon.

A few weeks before New Year’s Eve, I began to think about participating in a triathlon. I didn’t tell anyone about these thoughts, not even Mark. I knew that I wanted to lose weight and really push myself to get in shape, but I also knew that I would never succeed in doing that unless I had a larger motivating reason behind it all. I knew that I would never do a marathon – running for 26.2 miles sounded like hell on earth to me. But with a triathlon, I get to swim, bike and run my way to a finish line. I also thought about my big list of things to do before I die, and finishing a major fitness event is on that list. I wasn’t quite ready to tell anyone though – telling people would mean that it was real for people other than just myself.

Well, New Year’s Eve came, and while I was sitting on the floor playing Jenga with my family, I just kind of blurted it out. I wasn’t really ready to tell anyone, but apparently my subconscious was sick of the secret. I’m not sure that my family believed me, but they did their best attempt at making me feel like they did. It was sort of a “I’ll believe it when I see it” kind of thing. And to be honest, that didn’t bother me at all. I was sort of feeling the same thing myself. I had no idea how to start the training, where to do the training, or what the training would involve.

A few days after the New Year had started, I came home one night to find a direct mail piece on top of the small pile of mail Mark had left out for me. The mail piece was from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and it was regarding a program called Team in Training (TNT). As I started to read through the information, I learned that TNT was a program that helped regular people train for extreme fitness challenges – such as marathons, century bike rides and triathlons. They provide coaching, support and motivation for training. It was like fate had given me a call.

I signed up to attend an informational meeting for TNT to find out more about the program. When I arrived, I was surprised that I wasn’t totally scared or intimidated. In the past, I’ve been known to be a bit of a nervous person (Mom and Eric, insert your funny comment here…). But I was really calm and relaxed, and just excited to learn about the possibility of joining a team.

About five minutes into the presentation, I was completely on board. I had learned that TNT is not just a support system for people to use for their own good. It’s about coaching, motivation, fundraising, encouragement, training, life experiences and so much more. Over the next five months, I will train with a core group of people who are participating in the same event. These people will help support me in my decisions, motivate me when I just want to lay around watching movies instead of training, and assist me with my fundraising goals. In return, I am their support system, hopefully giving them the same inspiration they give me.

At the end of the meeting, I signed up to participate in the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon to take place July 15, 2006 here in Minneapolis.

Now, there is more to this than just receiving coaching and training and support from fellow triathletes. As part of the program, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society asks that each participant fundraise a predetermined amount of money. Of that total dollar amount, at least 75% goes directly to the Society for cancer research. I’ll admit, when the fundraising was discussed I did start to get a bit nervous. But when I started to actually think about the dollar amount I need to raise and all the people I know who would greatly support this cause, I knew that I could do it. TNT gives you all kinds of ideas and options for fundraising – from a personal web site (look for a link in the coming days!) to letter writing campaigns (if I have your address, be prepared to get a letter!) to special events (bake sale, anyone?).

TNT has a bunch of events throughout the year that take place throughout the country. They have a team to train for a walk or run marathon in San Diego, a century bike ride around Lake Tahoe and a triathlon in Pennsylvania. And, if you raise your predetermined dollar amount, TNT will pay for your travel expenses to participate in these programs. Now, the dollar amount that you have to raise is quite a bit higher than if you lived in the location where the event takes place, but it is still a great opportunity. I’m thinking of roping my mom and sister into participating in the walking marathon next summer that takes place in Alaska, but they don’t know that yet. But for now, I think I’ll just focus on my current physical challenge!

I have to say that I’m really proud of myself for signing up for the program. I think it’s half the battle just to decide that you’re going to do it. Well, maybe not half the battle, but a good portion of it at least. I’m looking forward to the next big leg of this undertaking – the actual training and fundraising. I haven’t been this excited or felt this good about a project in a long time.

I have a kick off meeting this Saturday morning to really jump-start the program and begin the training. Then I’m off and running – and swimming and biking. I’ll keep you posted on my progress!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO, GIRL!!!

I am so impressed, Amanda, and I wish you tons and tons of luck. It'll be really, really hard but I know you'll follow through and I can't wait to read about your training and then read/hear about/see pics of the actual event!

I find it funny about what you said about your family trying to supportive. When I first mentioned running a marathon, my mom said "if you run a marathon, I'll eat my shorts." Well, she has yet to actually eat them, but it sure felt good to prove her wrong.

You do indeed have my address ... I'm pretty broke but hey, you have plenty of time to train for this and I have plenty of time to scrape together a contribution!

Congrats - and God's speed!

Anonymous said...

trying to BE supportive

You knew what I meant. =)

Anonymous said...

Wow...ok...so as Mark's big sis, I have to tell you that I'm so impressed. Mark told me about this today - LOVE IT! So here's the irony...Emily (best friend) has been with TNT for two years now running marathons and convinced me to join with her this year for the Nike Women's Marathon in San Fran (I'll be walking the half-marathon.) So awesome! Keep it up! Love you both,
Carol

Anonymous said...

way to go amanda. i can't believe you added something else to your plate!! you can handle it though i'm not worried!
heather

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's awesome of you! I'm going to try really hard to remember to come back here and donate to your cause. Feel free to shoot me an email as a reminder if you want, I have a horrible memory!

Michele sent me!

the Intuitive Woman said...

Congratulations on attacking your new year's resolution head-on! I wish you all the best in training, fundraising and the triathalon. It definitely sounds like fate.

Michele sent me. All the best...

Tammy said...

Good for you! It was so....uplifting....just to read your post, your enthusiasm just shines through. :)

Michele sent me!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Much Good Luck To You!!! I think it's great that you have taken THE First Big Step! I congratulate you and applaud you, too! Brava!

Here from Michele this afternoon!

Christi said...

haha I'll never forget the comment that Mimi said when Erin and I said we'd be running the marathon. My parents had a bit of a different reaction...they just laughed. I guess I don't blame them. I'm definitley very spontaneous when it comes to my life and very rarely do I ever follow through with these huge plans of mine =)

It sure does help having the support of your friends and family behind you. You definitley have mine Amanda!! (I'm working on a contribution for you)