Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Triathlon Countdown: 3 Days

Three days to go. THREE DAYS! It's getting right down to it, now.

I got up early this morning and did a whole round of stretches. It felt good to get my body up and moving. My knee has been bothering me for the past week or so, and a good stretch really helped to get it loosened up. I think I might head out for a walk tonight to keep my legs loosened up and keep my body moving.

Starting today I'm supposed to really focus on my water intake, my healthy proteins and carbs intake, and my rest. Today and tomorrow are really the most important days for this stuff. Friday, of course, is still important, but the day before the race is not the prime time to prepare. You've gotta get your body ready to go days in advance. So, I'm drinking water like crazy today. I think I'm going to make myself salmon for dinner tonight.

I'm nervous today. I read over all of my information last night, and I was feeling very calm about the whole thing, but I'm back to being nervous again this morning. Not about anything in particular, but just an overall feeling of HOLY CRAP! But I've still got my feelings of excitement right along with it, so it's a good balance of the two. I know that once I get down there I'll just be so excited and ready to go that the nerves will melt away...hopefully.

I'm taking half of my day off from work on Friday to prepare for the big day. I've got to head out to the transition site to go through the motions, and I've got to get over to the convention center to pick up my race packet. Plus, I've got the whole family coming into town for the event, so I have a house to get in order, too!

I can't believe it's only three more days until the event. I feel like I've been training forever. I guess we'll see if all the training helped...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your blog via Google Blogs search. I read the first entry about your motivation to do one and your mock tri entry and thought I'd give you a few words about my experiences with my first two sprint tris that I did this year.

The "panic" you experienced to start your swim seems common from what I have read, and I too experienced it on my first tri in May. It's a bit of a rude awakening when you realize you don't have a wall to grab or a bottom to stand on if you get tired or something bizarre happens. For me, I also just generally started out too fast and found myself in the thick of people and was getting hit with arms and doing some hitting myself, which was an additional distraction.

For the tri I did this past Sunday, I watched where the waves before me started (not sure if your tri will do wave starts or not) and where the guys in my wave were clumping together and I purposefully started away from the main pack and much slower than my race pace and built it up until I was in a groove.

Before all that though, in my warm up I swam out into the lake about 150m or so just to get those "I'm not in a pool comfort zone" thoughts out of my head, and I think this helped.

A good warm up recipe that I like is to start with your bike for a little bit. This way, if something is wrong with it you'll have plenty of time to get it fixed. Then take your bike to the transition area and get that all set up. Proceed to body marking and then go for a light jog. After that, you can get into your wet suit and do a warm up swim. Somewhere along the way you'll probably need a potty break, hopefully before you get into your suit :p

Being nutrition focused now is perfect, maybe do a little reading about the morning of meal (or lack thereof). I used to always think that I needed to eat in the morning before workouts but some articles I have read say if you can't do it at least 3 hrs before your race start, don't. There is also some commentary out there about using Gu and when to use it. It could be the cause of your GI distress you experienced on your run.

Most of all, just enjoy yourself out there, because it will be over before you know it. I'll be sure to check back in and see how you did.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your BIG day. - Joel

Anonymous said...

How nice of Chance to give you all that advice!!

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... ebony sexy feet mpegs worldwide Transformational leadership and company training Control refrigerator temperature Gambling and minnesota Milfs fucked by black guys Akira mp3 players review e30 convertible http://www.pamela-anderson-6.info/gay_foot_fetish_pic.html Top humidifier Pay or per or click