Thursday, July 13, 2006

Triathlon Countdown: 2 Days

Ok, people. I've got to honest here. The nerves and some of the excitement have been overcome by a bit of worry.

Have I mentioned the heat yet? I think that I might have. Well, I'm a bit worried about it now. The National Weather Service has just issued an "excessive heat watch" for Saturday and Sunday. They are expecting the temps to be between 100 to 105 degrees.

THAT'S INSANE!!! It's worse than they originally anticipated!

I'm going to focus really hard on water intake and on listening to my body, but holy crap that's hot. I love that the National Weather Service has advised people to stay indoors this weekend in the air conditioning. Not only am I going to be outdoors, but I'm going to be heavily working my body for about 4 hours!

But, I'm being optimistic and going over my goals once again. Goal number one is to finish this race. I want to finish the race safely. I'm reminding myself that a good finish time was never part of the initial contract I had with myself. My revised goal is to finish in 4 hours, but not at the expense of my health. I'll push as much as I can within a safety zone.

As for my pre-race prep, I'm doing ok. I'm drinking a ton of water, and I'm eating well too. Tonight is my big Pasta Party with my team, so I'm looking forward to good food and some last minute advice.

Other than my worry about the heat, I have to say that I feel pretty good today. I'm not that nervous about the race itself. I feel like I've finally got the logistics down for race day for both myself and my family. I feel like my body is prepared for the hell I'm going to give it.

Now I just want it to be here!

No comments: