Thursday, September 21, 2006

Autumn in the Air

For the past few weeks, a sense of autumn has most definitely been in the air. Many little changes have crept up on me, and it has made me remember why this is one of my most favorite times of the year.

After a run outside last week, I stopped in a small grassy patch near my house to stretch. While stretching under a tree, I noticed a leaf fall from the branch above my head. As I looked at the ground around me, I realized that there were lots of leaves that had already fallen - leaves full of rich red, yellow and orange color. I couldn't help myself, and I scooped up a whole armful to take back home and make waxed leaves with. The waxed leaves didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but it was a great fall activity nonetheless!

While out for a walk with co-workers recently, we all noticed the change of the air itself. Instead of the hot, heavy, sticky air of summer months, we felt the cool, crisp feeling of fall on our faces. The air is lighter and calmer, truly reminding us that the earth is preparing for winter hibernation, which will come much too soon as always.

The birds are gearing up for the long trip south. While stopping to wait for a gaggle of geese to cross the street this morning, I realized that soon enough geese will be flying high in their V formation, and other birds of the north will be stopping in these parts for a rest during their flight.

While leaving work last night, I had cursed myself for not wearing a jacket. The temperature had dropped a bit during the day, and the cool night air was closing in at the early hour of 5:00pm. I love the first few weeks of fall when light autumn jackets are required, and you feel cozy somehow, tightening them up around your neck while on a walk or out running errands.

The sun retires earlier each night. I always find myself curled up in bed with a book earlier in fall than I would be in summer. During summer months, I feel bad if I'm inside reading instead of outside enjoying the hot summer sun. But during the crisp fall months it is perfectly acceptable, encouraged even, to enjoy a good read while lazing around, maybe with the window cracked just a bit to let in a faint blow of the night air.

Halloween decorations are filling the stores. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I just love it. Children are making the tough decision on whether to be a pirate or a vampire or a princess for the traditional trick-or-treating fun. Pumpkins sit watch on porches, and ghosts hang from the trees.

Just sitting here writing this makes me want to get outside for a walk and enjoy the beauty of an autumn day. In the coming weeks, I'm looking forward to great fall activities like visiting the apple orchard, carving pumpkins, finding my way through a corn maze, and maybe catching a fright or two at a haunted house.

While I love fall and it is my favorite season of the year, I do have one complaint about it: it's just too darn short.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, how many times can I say it? Great minds think alike.

It's 9:47 p.m. and I'm just reading this post. I posted earlier today and said the EXACT thing - "There is one thing I don't like about fall - it's over in the blink of an eye!"

Anonymous said...

I too love fall so much. Everything is so pretty and I love all the smells... apples, cinnamon, leaves, crisp air, pumpkins, cider ... oh, I love it!!!!