Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sex and the City

I watched a couple of episodes of Sex and the City last night for the first time in a while, and I thought that I'd do a little post on reasons why it's one of my favorite shows of all time.

It's a show that transcends generations of women and can be appreciated by all women. My mom, my sister, my friends - we all watch it. I know that someday (thanks to season on DVD), my daughter and her friends will watch it. And I'll probably watch the whole thing all over again with them.

It's a show that has given me some great memories over my years. I can remember really hot summer nights in college, laying in bra and underwear, and my roommate and I would rent disk 1 of a season on DVD, watch the entire thing, and then run to the video store minutes before closing to get disk 2. I remember another time when the snow was coming down so hard it was difficult to see three feet in front of you, but we braved it and drove to the video store in search of Sex and the City DVDs.

It's a show that makes women relate to the characters in a way that I've never experienced before in my life. I remember discussing, as I know many other groups of women did, which character we most identify with. Most women probably identify at least a little bit with each character, but there is always one character that resembles each woman the most. I'm definitely a Charlotte. I identify with her optimistic outlook on love and finding the true love in life, even if that does make me a hopeless romantic. I identify with her classic and feminine sense of style. I identify with her realization after meeting Harry - that love might come in a different, and far better, package than you ever thought it would.

So, ladies of the blogging world, help me with my ode to Sex and the City. Share a favorite Sex and the City memory in the comments, and also finish the line for yourself:

I'm a ...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Totally Big,

Mark

Amanda said...

Oh honey, you're so cute.

But no, you're not Big. Big is not a wonderfully sweet, selfless, caring individual who puts his girlfriend before himself. And you are all of those things. :) But, Big does have a great sense of style, and you do have that.

I don't think that men can compare themselves and identify with the men on the show the way that women can. But, what do you other readers think?

Anonymous said...

I think I am Carrie to an extent. I tend to live in the same organized chaos she often found herself in. I'm expressive and needy and I value my friends in much the same way as she. And I can't find that "one" guy for the life of me.

I have two favorite Sex in the City experiences: my first is from college, and much like you, Amanda, I remember making sure I was home with my roommate to watch the newest episode. We would yell at the TV and cry and laugh. It was definitely something that brought us together. My second favorite memory is the series finale, sitting at Mom and Dad's and Mark and Dad rolling their eyes while the girls cried.

And I must say, yes, Amanda you are totally Charlotte and Mark, NO you are so NOT Big!

Carol

Christi said...

I have one part Miranda in me and one part Carrie.

I am independant, ambitious, and am highly annoyed by the "needy" people in my life. Enter my Miranda side.

On the other hand I'm willing to spend an entire paycheck on designer clothes, my friends mean the world to me, and occasionally I can be a big goof. There is my Carrie side.

But for purposes of this post, I'll leave with "I'm a Carrie" because it's more fun to be her than Miranda anyways =)

Amanda said...

That's so funny! What is it about Miranda? No one wants to be her! I had a friend who used to say that thought she was probably truly a Miranda, but really didn't want to be. So, she always said that she was a Carrie.

And I'll tell you this, she was no Carrie!

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of people identify with Carrie because she was the most realistic character on the show, in my opinion.

I'm a Carrie, I'd say - there's the whole writer thing, and I can spend a whole Saturday afternoon with my magazines. :) I have better luck in the love dept, though (knock on wood), and I wish I had her thinness and fashion sense - but what can you do!

I have too many SATC moments to name just one - I have all the seasons on DVD and watching one epdisode after another has been my activity of choice on more than a few nights in! Those gals just feel like your friends! :)

Christi said...

Erin Leffelman, you are so not a carrie. You are definitley a Charlotte!!! You are romantic by nature, a bit of a priss, hopelessly optimistic about life and love, and who could forget the unforgettable line "Guys, you can't fight. It's my wedding!" =)

But fine, the writer thing can overrule. =)

Anonymous said...

I wish I was a Carrie purely for the fashion reason and she always looks so damn good but I can't choose... some help guys.

Amanda said...

I agree with Christi 100% - Erin, you are a Charlotte through and through! But I can definitely see some Carrie qualities, too...

Heahter, I think that you are one of the only people that I know who is truly a jumble of a few characters. You are like a Charlotte in the fact that you do have that view on love being vastly important in life. But you do have some of Carrie's fashion sense - you know your handbags, girl! I say go with your gut...

Christi said...

Um..and I do remember some very saucy stories about two people's steamy sex lives which is VERY Samantha =)

I think you're a Samarrieletta Heather =) Small part Samantha, large part Carrie and Charlotte, and a tad Miranda.

Anonymous said...

LOL - good answer, Christi.

Amanda said...

Oh Christi, good one! I agree 100%

Anonymous said...

I agree... it must be the Gemini in me. I can never be just one personality!!

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it oldsmobile cutlass club Canon powershot s230 digital camera Lamictal withdrawl Protonix continuous drip kasper radar detectors Proactiv solution 29 95 hardcore movie 1963 cadillac for sale Is voip legal in afghansitan callcenter crack 3 9 3 Lar wireless plans online forex trading Image tiny mature breasts 1951 buick lesabre Zoloft side affectes Shop atv tires in dallas tx White hardcore sex story Paris hilton photo panties Virginia gatlinburg honeymoons Oklahoma bextra lawyer